In more Tales From a Furloughed Girl, I woke up this morning early as I normally do to watch the news before going to work (dumb alarm, I didn’t cut you off) and before sad realization hit me I caught a segment showing a link to all things discounted for furloughed workers. Also on facebook caught a posting where a fitness center was offering a free workout class to furlough workers today. This got me thinking, what exactly are they offering to us temporarily laid off due to Congress’ hillbilly foolishness. I thought this as I was getting ready to go jogging. But decided to delay that because I’d much rather write this blog. At first I was bothered by the idea of going jogging on a weekday after 8am. Would passerbyers be thinking, okay this girl isn’t retired, how does she have time to go jogging at 10am? Is she unemployed? Oh for shame! But then I thought, heck I’m in good company, screw what they think, maybe they’ll feel sorry for me because they’ll think I’m one of the furloughed, aka the unchosen ones. Which lead my self diagnosed ADD mind back to why I wrote this post in the first place, ah yes, free/discounted stuff for the unchosen ones:
If you live in the DC area like me, there are loads of government workers so imagine all the places getting hit because we are shut down. Gyms located in or near federal buildings, lunch cafes, transportation services…
Here’s some stuff I found that are giving us a break for being furloughed (disclaimer some may no longer be in effect so check before going and causing a scene). Yeah, a lot of this is gimmicy and them trying to make a quick buck but I’ll take what I can and if I get cabin fever it’s nice to know there are some affordable spots to hit up:
- M.A.D. Fitness 30 minute free workout from 9-11am today across from Takoma Station and 10% discount a La Mano Coffee Bar if you attend
- Mockingbird Hill is offering a free glass of sherry to federal employees who show their ID as long as the shutdown lasts.
- Pork Barrel BBQ is offering all government employees — well, except members of Congress — a free pulled pork sandwich each day of the shutdown. You must have a government ID.
- Furloughed federal government and D.C. government workers can get a free burger at Z-Burger locations in Arlington, Columbia Heights, Southwest and Tenleytown. The burgers will be offered every day of the shutdown from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. and from 5 until 7 p.m. You must show your government ID.
- Balance Gym is offering free access to those with valid government IDs during the hours of 1 to 4 p.m. at all three locations
- Go Ape is offering 50% off to Federal Employees!
- Nusta Spa is offering 30% off all services to anyone who shows a federal ID from now until the government reopens!
- Cork Wine Bar: Happy Hour Pricing on Wine — All Day All Night until the Hill kids start acting like grownups and end this Insanity
- Wisdom is doing 20% off as well if you show your badge
- Local a cappella group The Capital Hearings are offering FREE ADMISSION to their concert this Saturday The Capital Hearings: OPENING STATEMENT for furloughed Feds! www.thecapitalhearings.com
- Sugar Mama’s Ice Cream in Fairfax is offering 20% off for furloughed federal workers that show their ID. www.sugarmamasicecram.com
- Chef Jose Andres is offering free sandwiches for federal workers at his Jaleo restaurants in Chinatown, Crystal City and Bethesda. Andres will also offer sandwiches at his other Chinatown restaurants, Oyamel and Zaytinya.
- DuPont Circle’s Kramerbooks and Afterwords Cafe is extending its happy hour prices ($5 beers, rail drinks and house wines) until closing. Members of Congress pay double
- The Phillips Collection will open as usual and waive its admission fee for the remainder of the week.
- Cupcake Blvd. in Anne Arundel County is offering a free cupcake to federal employees that show their ID between 1 and 3 p.m. for the rest of the
- Fibre Space in Alexandria will offer free knitting classes, which usually cost $75, between 1 and 5 p.m. for furloughed workers with a government employee ID. You can bring your own needles and yarn or purchase them there.
- South American steakhouse Del Campo is offering happy hour prices for the duration of the shutdown, all day long, with a government ID.
- Koons in Silver Spring- free oil change, inspection and tire rotation
- Signature Theater- tickets to see Miss Saigon
- DC Coast all day happy hour
- District Commons all day happy hour
- Urbanas has extended happy hour
- Flying dog- free brewery tour and tastings (certain day and time)
- Kangaroo Boxing Club- $3 screw driver
- Art and Soul- drink on the house at art and soul
- Vendetta- free glass of proseco
- Menchies frozen yogurt- 20% off and unlimited toppings
- Original Pancake house (in Bethesda) 15% off
- Zatinya, Jaleo, Oyamel- free sandwich from 3-5
- there were also tons of free coffee offerings but I don’t like coffee so I bypassed them but see links below for info.
Links I got my info. from with even more shut down offers. Seriously there were so many I got tired so see more here: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/10/government-shutdown-2013-local-businesses-ease-furlough-pain-with-free-stuff-94710.html#ixzz2gZCUr1sW
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Businesses-Offer-Freebies-to-Furloughed-Federal-Workers-225942371.html , www.washingtonpost.com, www.bizjournals.com, www.washingtoncitypaper.com
Okay off to go running…